Symptoms for menopause: How Pilates Can Help Relieve Them
Image source: menome.
Ah, the menopause. We all know it's coming, and we all have to experience it. Menopause is the period in a woman's life when menstruation ceases. It can happen in your 40s or 50s but the average age is 51. Most women experience the symptoms for menopause and dealing with them can be a challenge. This article aims to explore the symptoms for menopause and explain how Pliates helps to relieve them.
What are the symptoms for menopause?
Every woman experiences menopause differently, we each have different symptoms. Some are severe, some go unnoticed, but either way there are some more predictable symptoms that are most commonly noticed.
During your menopausal transition, you may notice some changes in your period. One of the most normal changes is lighter and less frequent periods, this is due to your decreasing hormone levels. Some of the most common symptoms for menopause include:
- Hot flushes, common and unpleasant, the official term for hot flushes is ‘vasomotor symptom’. Sometimes this symptom is associated with anxiety and heart palpitations. It can last from 1 to 5 minutes and typically is experienced by women at least once a day.
- Emotional symptoms, frequent mood swings, feelings of anxiety and depression are also common.
- Sleep disturbances, another common symptom, often caused by hot flushes, night sweats, stress, insomnia or depression.
- Weight gain, this symptom is a frequent problem of menopause as a loss of estragon shifts fat disruption to the waistline.
- Brain fog, some women also experience memory loss, confusion and problems concentrating.
Treatment of symptoms for menopause
Fortunately, although menopause is completely natural and does not need to be treated, there are a variety of treatment options available. The purpose of these treatments is to ease the menopausal transition symptoms. There are two main approaches you can take to menopausal treatment, either natural or medical. Some of the medical approaches include hormone replacement or prescription medications that address specific symptoms.
On the other hand, a natural treatment for the symptoms of menopause is exercise. One of the best exercises you can do for menopause is Pilates. Studies have shown that Pilates can help to relieve some of the symptoms of the menopause. The mixture of regular exercise and a positive mindset promoted by Pilates helps alleviate many of the symptoms such as mood swings, hot flushes, depression and sleeplessness.
The reason why Pilates does such a good job of relieving your menopausal symptoms is because the exercise itself was designed to strengthen our bodies and minds. Some key benefits of Pilates include:
- Stress relief
- Increased strength, balance and flexibility
- Better range of motion
- Improved muscle tone, strength and body composition]
- Better concentration
Promotes relaxation which improves mood and sleep
Why a Pilates Retreat is excellent at relieving the symptoms for menopause
Now that we have established the great benefits of Pilates and why it is so great at relieving menopausal symptoms, we wanted to discuss how a pilates retreat can help even more. Reformer Retreats has created a luxury Pilates retreat full of amazing activities that will help you to relieve the symptoms for menopause. These activities include:
- Wellness talks from menopause and life coach experts
- Spa treatments
- 3 night luxury bliss hotel stay
A Pilates retreat is a great way to put some dedicated time aside to focus completely on your physical and mental wellness. A Pilates retreat means no distractions, therefore a chance to really relax and unwind. The combination of activities available will allow you to get the most out of your retreat and hopefully you will be able to see a difference straight away.